Saturday, June 6, 2009

Kindle 2

I recently purchased a Kindle 2.  It is basically an electronic book.   You can download books off the Internet and read them on the screen.

When I first heard about this, I was really reluctant to try it.  I thought "Wow, this could get rid of books all together," and being a little old fashioned, I didn't like the sound of that.  Plus I was thinking that I didn't know if I could get used to reading from an electronic screen.  But then I realized that this would be very convenient for me considering my limited space living on the ship.  I could have hundreds of books at my fingertips, in just one small electronic device.

So I decided to buy it.  I can definitely say that I do not regret my decision!  The Kindle is awesome!  I have downloaded most importantly the Bible, which makes my daily bible reading very convenient, plus many other books.  I even found a website where I could download a bunch of old classics for free, because they of course no longer have a copyright.

I have done more reading since I got this awesome device than I have in a long time!  The screen is also very easy to read from.  It looks just like a page from a book.  It also has a dictionary on it, that allows you to select any word, from any book you are reading, and get the definition within seconds!

Can you tell that I love this thing?  I would not say that this would be good with everyone, because I understand the reluctance from some to get something like this.  But if you travel a lot, or you just want to have your reading be a little more convenient, this is perfect for you!

They also came out with a newer version recently that is slightly bigger, it's called the "Kindle DX."  The Kindle and the Kindle 2 are kind of small, but they're not too small.

If anyone has any questions, you can ask me, or go to Amazon and read about it there.

6 comments:

Rosebud said...

Sounds cool! I've seen the Kindle on the website but didn't know what it was.

Leah said...

WOW!! Maybe I should get one of those. :)

Ana said...

I've heard of Kindles but I'm also a little old fashioned ... okay ... a lot old fashioned and wasn't sure about them (although I do have a Zune (!!) and a laptop (!!) ... so maybe I'm not as old fashioned as I think). But love books, just everything about a book, the smell, the feel, the look, everything.

I'm glad you got a Kindle and that it is working wonderfully for you ... I'm glad I read this ... I'd never heard any "feed back" about Kindles before this.

Katie said...

Haha, my Daddy told me to look into one of those. I think he gets tired of my stacks upon stacks of books. :-) I might have to read into it now...

Ana said...

Just a side note: I really like the additions to your sidebar. Maybe you've had them there a while and I didn't see them before now. :)

Jason A. Hunsicker said...

No, it's okay, I just added them. Thank you for noticing!