Day by Day

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.
***
Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.
***
Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.
***
I don't know about you guys, but this is one of my favorite hymns. This was a lesson I think my dad first taught me. He said that we as Christians should live day by day, living everyday for the glory of the Lord. Taking it one day at a time. Not allowing the problems of yesterday to affect today, but living each day as a new day in the Lord. I have found this outlook on life to be very helpful in the Navy. Some days in the Navy, are to be honest...terrible! But I can't allow that to affect my outlook on the next day. Each day is a new day in the Lord. I wake up every morning...praying that I can live that day to the glory of the Lord. I let all the other days of the week come, come and go when they come and go, but for that day, I will focus on that day. Any broader view that that will make you go nuts in the Navy! Some days I must admit that I live each moment, praying, "Lord help me make it to the next moment with out going nuts!"
Wow, looking over that paragraph, I realized it was kind of a confusing read. I hope you understood it, and that maybe it was a blessing to you!

Comments

Meg said…
wow! I just put this song up on MY blog and then came over to look at yours, and saw that you had just posted it!! Believe me, I had no idea you were doing it... but you were and are absolutely right, it is such an encouraging song!! Hannah will be singing it for camp so I am accompanying her. I LOVE IT!!!!

Miss you bunches,
MEG
Ana said…
I LOVE THIS SONG! It's a favorite of mine. Thank you for posting it.

And I got the paragraph.
Amanda said…
That paragraph wasn't confusing at all--in fact, it made me think more specifically of how I need to live moment by moment for the Lord. Thanks!
Thanks! You gave me some good food for thought!
Wow, I guess I never really have thought about the words before! They're wonderful. And yes, your paragraph did make sense, it was a great reminder. :)

Bethany
I just tagged you....visit my blog to see what you have to do!! :)