Garbage in...Garbage out...

So, I just got off the phone with Hannah, and were talking about something...and I decided...it would be a good thing to blog about...so here it is:

Many people have heard the expression above before, probably. Never has this expression become more real to me, than since I joined the Navy. You've probably all heard the expression..."to swear like a sailor"...well let me tell you...it is very true! People in the Navy, are some of the most dirty mouthed people I have ever met in my life. They talk about very inappropriate things almost all the time!

Well, one thing that has bothered me since I joined the Navy, is that you meet these "Christians" in the Navy...who swear just as bad as the other sailors. I've always been very critical toward them, and wondering how they can claim to be committed Christians, and say the things they do? But I came to a realization, that I want to present to you...

So, this is very hard for me to admit...but on two occasions, since I joined the Navy...I have slipped out with swear words. They came out so fast, that I didn't have time to pull them back. Of course each time I felt terrible, and apologized to the Lord profusely after each time...but it make me realize something...it's easier than I thought to slip into this "dirty mouthed sailor mentality." You hear it so much on the job in the Navy...that if you are not extremely careful, and relying on the Lord at all times...garbage can get in very easily.

So this made me reevaluate my Christian Shipmates...if I have slipped up these two times...how can I be so judgemental toward these other Christians? God created me as a very stubborn individual...I don't give into peer pressure very easily! I think I got the stubbornness from my mom...but anyways...if I'm so stubborn, and willfully trying my best to live my life right for God...and I slipped up those two times...what's to say that other Christians might slip up even more? I mean, I was raised in a Christian home...where many words that would not be considered that bad in today's society were considered swear words...so what's to say these new Believers, aren't going to struggle more than me?

Am I trying to justify my slip ups, or trying to excuse the actions of my Christian Shipmates? No! If anything this realization has made me more determined to live everyday, moment by moment with the Lord...so I can guard myself from slipping up like this. But this has helped me to understand them a little better. One thing I've realized is that the Navy is preparing me sooo well for the Ministry...because of my time in the Navy. The Navy has helped me understand sooo much more of the world, and so many new different kinds of people! He is broadening my horizons, so that I can better minister to a wider variety of people.

If I had gone right from High School, to College, and then on to be a Pastor...I would have had such a small range of people that I would understand, and be able to interact with. But now since the Navy...I honestly believe that the Lord could send me to almost anywhere in the world...and I would be comfortable with it!

I just want to close by saying that God knows what He's doing in your life. You may see the times you slip up, and see the mistakes you make, and allow that sin to eat you alive, but I believe that is the wrong approach. God has forgiven us of every sin we have committed, and He can use those trials, and tests to shape us into the Christians He wants us to be!

Comments

Amanda said…
THANKS, Jason! The Lord has been working on me about that too in the past few days--that even though I sin, He still promises to make *everything* turn out for His glory and my good; but it's my choice to believe that He will.
I thank God every day that you so desire to keep your heart clean and pure before Him and that He has allowed you to stay so tender towards Him. I know just from working in the secular world how hard it is to watch my tongue when I hear all sorts of things on the job, not to mention being in the Navy...

You know you have my prayers!
Anonymous said…
It has been a huge blessing watching you as you endeavor to like a holy and pure life in a very evil environment! We pray He will continue to do a work in your life!