Sapporo Snow Festival

So this last week my ship made a port call to Otaru, Japan for the snow festival in Sapporo. Basically we pulled into Otaru and had to take the train to get to the snow festival in Sapporo. Anyways...I thought I would share with you all the pictures I took while there...


Sapporo City streets...


Okay, so I saw this ice block and I thought the way it formed was really cool...so this is a close up picture of the ice block. Cool looking isn't it?


Alright, so they had this ski jump where these Japanese Snowboarders were jumping off of. It was pretty cool!


Orangutan and a Polar Bear.


The detail that these people put into these sculptures was amazing!


Alright so this is the whole sculpture...cool isn't it?


Alright, so the festival mostly consisted of "Snow Sculptures," but they had a few Ice Sculptures thrown into the mix. This one was the biggest, and the coolest.


Snow sculpture model of some building in Germany.


Korean Castle.


The first snow sculpture I saw at the festival.


Many of the buildings in Sapporo were surprisingly old fashioned. This is pretty uncommon in Japan...they are a very advanced culture, and often they tear down old buildings to put up the new...but this is one of the older buildings that I saw.

Alright...well that's all I'm going to post...I have a lot more...but if I were to post them all it would be way too much! I hope you all enjoyed the pics...

Comments

How long will the sculptures last? I mean, it seems like a LOT of work for them to end up melting in a few weeks.
Oh and what are they going to do when Global Warming happens and suddenly it doesn't snow there any more? lol!
Anonymous said…
Wow! Neat pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Adam said…
Cool post ive never been out of the US.

I love the Music you have on your blog. I give it a 5 Star rating.

Your in the Navy right do you guys get MREs?

Signed
Adam

from One Texans View
Adam said…
Oohh and I want to thank you for your service to our country.
Jason Hunsicker said…
Hannah: You know that's a good question...I don't think they've really thought that far in advance. I'm not sure how long they last...the festival itself only lasts about a week, so I think after that they just kind of let them melt over time.

Adam: I had never actually been outside the country before I joined the Navy. That's one huge blessing that I'm thankful to the Lord for. Nope, no MRE's for us...we get real food in the Navy. We have people on the ship who's job is to cook our food, and most of the time it's not too bad.
dude that is so sweet!! I love it!! I especially like the one of the building in Germany!! SWEET!!
Hannah
Adam said…
I'm giving you the sunshine award. Go to my blog to get it.