"Does member desire to reenlist?"

The above question is followed by three blocks with words next to them...you have three choices...Yes, No, or Undecided. I never thought when I first looked at my PTS (Perform To Serve) form that this question would create so much problems for me.

To fully explain the situation I want to go back and explain to you what my original intentions were in joining the Navy. I joined the Navy basically to pay for college. Sure there were other reasons...for example...to see the world, to gain better discipline...etc. I keep thinking lately about the look on my Dad's face when I told Him I was going to join the Navy. It was a look of complete bewilderment, and confusion. He told me he was worried that joining the Navy would cause me to loose sight of what God had for my life...to be a pastor that is. I tried to assure him that God had revealed to me that he wanted me to join the Navy first...Dad did eventually warm up to the idea...but it took him a little while.

Back then when I first joined...if you had asked me the question in the title of this blog I would have answered you with a resounding no. I knew it was God's will for me to get out after my enlistment. I must confess that within the last couple of months...this question has become harder to answer. The whole purpose for submitting the PTS form that I mentioned above is to declare your intentions...whether that be to stay in or get out. And if you do stay in, the PTS form is where you request to change jobs if you so desire.

People might be surprised by my admission that I have struggled with answering this question lately. When they first asked me to fill out my PTS form...my first reply was a "no" to the above question. My chain of command however planted the doubt in my mind...and instead of nipping them in the bud with what I believe is God's will for my life...I allowed them to get me to doubt. The told me..."Well...a lot can happen between now and when you get out...you never know...you may decide that you should stay in." I'm not blaming them for it, and I'm not mad at them for planting the doubt...they were just trying to do what was best for me. But their question caused me to look deeper into trying to find out what God wanted me to do.

After seeking some advice from some Christian friends, and doing a lot of praying...I finally made the decision. My conclusion is...you don't need a backup plan when you are following God's will for your life. I'm going to get out, just like God revealed to me back when I first decided to join. I never would have thought that my Dad's worry could prove to be so possible.

So when I told my Chief, and my first class today...they were pretty confused. The main reason why the don't want me to put a "no" on the PTS form is that once I put that answer, and submit it, there's no going back. I can't change my mind. If I were to put "Yes" or "Undecided"...I could decide to get out still. But like I said...there's no need to have a backup plan when you are doing God's will for your life. As a result of this decision my First Class is going to sit down and give me a counseling so they can document that I have been properly informed of what my decision means. I will even have to have a meeting with the Captain where he's going to do the same thing. I'm just going to be honesty with them and tell them why I made the decision I made.

So...there's no going back now. In a year I will be out of the Navy...entering the civilian world...going to college. There's such a peace that is found in doing what God wants for your life...even when it may not be popular with everyone.

Comments

Jason Hunsicker said…
Oh, and this is my 100th post by the way...
Anonymous said…
Jason I respect your reasoning, One thing you got wrong is Your chain of command is not looking out for your best interests. They are looking out for the Navy's best interests. One other thing to consider is once you inform they of your intentions to leave the service they may punish you for it. You will be given harsher evaluations, and they will not cater to your requests or wishes.
In some ways their advice to say you are undecided is in your best interests. I just thought I would let you gain from my experience.
Mr Fahle
Amanda said…
As long as you are following the Lord, you can't go wrong. Praying for you!
Yuri Richardson said…
Congrads on your 100th post.

I'm encourage by your decision Jason. I think that you have made a very good decision. You sort YHWH and godly counsel and once the decision was made you had peace. That Peace I believe is an evidence of the right decision. I happy to hear you've made yet another good decision.

And I agree with you that when a person is doing God's will they do not need a back up plan.

Continued Shalom to you in Messiah.