The Prodigal


by:  Ryan and Meghan Baird
You held out Your arms, I walked away
Insolent I spurned Your face
Squandering the gifts You gave to me
Holding close forbidden things
Destitute a rebel still, a fool in all my pride
The world I once enjoyed is death to me
No joy, no hope, no life

Where now are the friends, that I had bought
Gone with every penny lost
What hope could there be for such as I
Sold out to a world of lies
Oh, to see Your face again, it seems so distant now
Could it be that You would take me back
A servant in Your house

You held out Your arms, I see them still
You never left, You never will
Running to embrace me, now I know
Your cords of love will always hold
Mercy's robe, a ring of grace
Such favor undeserved
You sing over me and celebrate
The rebel now Your child

© 2009 Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP).

Comments

Caleb said…
Wow! I've never heard this, but I've really liked every song that I've heard put out from Sovereign Grace Worship.
Jason Hunsicker said…
Yep! It's a great song. I don't really like the way they sing their songs, but I like their songs, they have great words!
Caleb said…
Very True... Let me re-phrase my first comment. Their songs have very good words to them, but their music style is a little too contemporary for me. The Steve Pettit Team and Galkin Team do a great job on singing the Sovereign Grace songs!
Jason Hunsicker said…
Yep! I agree...there's this song, and many others by Sovereign Grace that I really would like for the Pettits or the Galkins to sing!