Bird Nerd Central!

Since I've come to Northland I've been trying to figure out what this noisy bird is that I often hear off in the distance on campus. At first I caught short glimpses of it off in the distance, and it looked really big. Finally I saw it before I left for spring break, and it looked like some kind of crane. It definitely wasn't a Great Blue Heron because it flies with it's neck extended. Well, I kept meaning to look it up, but I kept forgetting...so yesterday on the way to church, I saw one, and once again I thought, "I need to look it up, to see if I can find out what it is!" So, this morning I did...it's a...drum roll please?! It's a...Sandhill Crane!


Wisconsin and Michigan are in it's summer breeding range. Their range does not extend into Ohio and Pennsylvania, which explains why I don't remember ever seeing them before. 



I'm such a bird nerd...




Here's some info on it for my fellow bird nerds.  Click here.

Comments