God's work, not mine...

I would like to share something that God taught me this past week, here at camp.  I had one camper this last week who came back during an invitation to get saved.  First of all I wanted to make sure he realized he was a sinner.  So, first I asked him if he was a sinner, and he said yes, but as I proceeded to ask him about specific sins that he had committed and he proceeded to tell me that he had "not really" committed any of those sins.

From the way he was answering my questions, he was, in essence saying he was without sin.  I proceeded to tell him that he was saying that God was a liar because God's word says that all have sinned (Rom. 3:23 & 1 John 1:10).  It was very clear that he was very distracted and did not want to admit his error.  So, all I could think to do was to continue to go through the gospel with him, and just pray with him, but not encourage him to pray the "sinners prayer," because he obviously wasn't ready, and didn't understand that he was a sinner.

After I was done talking to him, I just felt very discouraged.  I began questioning in my head, "God, are you here?  This kid needs Jesus...can't you make him see!?"  I struggled with it most of the evening, but I just kept praying about it, and God just made me realize, that He has a sovereign plan that will be accomplished.  I am just a tool...I might not be the one that leads him to Christ, but He can still use me in this boys life.  He's the one who does the work in hearts...no one truly comes to Christ, and understands the gospel without the work of God in hearts...

He is good, and He knows exactly what needs to be done...even when I don't understand it...

Comments

PrincessR said…
Good for you to take the time to really help this boy. Too often it is exciting to lead someone to Christ and we forget to help them realize what a precious and costly gift it is by showing them how in need of it they are. I will be keeping him in my thoughts and you as well as you constantly abide by the Spirit and listen to Him!

Blessings,
Rebecca