How to deal with controversy...

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Romans 14:1-6

Recently I was faced with a situation that made me want to react with an angry post here on my blog.  I was pretty close to doing it too...I had opened up the window I'm writing in right now, and I was going to write a defense for my school.  It was going to be filled with all kinds of scripture and plausible arguments from reason as to why my opinion was right.  I didn't get that far in writing before "something" made me realize it was not a good move...I know now it was definitely God.

Do you ever find that God gives causes someone to preach a sermon that was exactly what you needed?  Well, that's what happened...the next morning after I was going to write that post, but thought better of it, a guy (Stephen Davey) in chapel spoke a sermon on passage above.  I'd like to share with you his simple outline with some of my thoughts between the points.

  1. Accept the one who is weak in faith
  2. Refuse to argue
    • This  one is probably the hardest one to put into practice
    • I know...you want to argue...but this is our flesh talking...
  3. Readjust your personal attitude of pride
    • This goes both ways
    • Both sides of a controversy think they're right...both have people on their sides who can be  quite unloving and unforgiving...both sides have people who genuinely love the Lord and want to live for His glory...
  4. Remember your final authority (vs. 4)
    • God, and the verse doesn't say this, but the Word of God...
Is my perspective of the situation where joyful communion with God is my priority? (vs. 6)

I hope this was a blessing to you...I know it was to me...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for your post...I've been considering that very same thing lately, the difference between uniformity and unity.

I'm glad that God's word has something to say on that...may we each learn to live in unity with those that are not necessarily exactly the same.