Do we serve a boring God?

Pastors, if you are content to preach boring sermons you need to spend more time getting to know our infinitely interesting God.
-Stephen Altrogge

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but do you ever feel like people think God is boring?  When you talk to them about God the drawl on with a monotone voice about how great God is.  You hear preachers preach in a way that could put the most hyper-active kid to sleep.  I know that I've even felt this way at times.  I grew up in a Christian home and went to church every time the doors were open...and I went through periods of boredom.  I had heard the story of David and Goliath so many times, and I was sick of hearing it.

One day God used a message to get a hold of my heart, and showed me that I could always learn something new about my God from the Word.

When we are confronted with the truth from the Word about our awesome God, how could we ever be bored with Him?  He formed the universe and everything in it with his words, except for man, which he lovingly created with His hands.  Colossians speaks of the fact that God holds things together even.

I find the way that I get the most excited about God and what He does is by letting my imagination picture something that I read.  For example...David and Goliath...I close my eyes and try to picture the scene...little tiny probably red-headed David standing up against a huge ugly giant...and God delivers Goliath into David's hand by causing him to kill him with a stone and a sling...the stories really about God, not about David's courage.

Or maybe letting my imagination go with the idea that God holds everything together...imagine everything in the universe...from the biggest star, to the smallest cell being held together...our body is made up of an innumerable number of cells, and God knows the number of them, and holds them all together.  Wow...how can we be bored with our God when we consider that?

So...Pastors...Teachers...Christians...study the Word and get to know our interesting God better...when we get a glimpse of what our God is like based on what we read of Him in the scriptures...we can't help but be excited about Him.

Comments