What or whom do you worship?

What or whom do you worship?  I would argue that what or whom you worship is evidenced in many ways.  What do you talk about all the time?  What do you think about when your not doing anything?  What is your all consuming desire?  Be honest with yourself...if we're the "professional Christian" who was raised hearing the jargon we know how to answer those questions with a "Christian" answer.  But really...if we're honest with ourselves...how would we answer?

I know that in my life it's a constant struggle..."lesser lights and fleeting shadows" steal my affections all the time.  A good gift given by God, turns into an idol.

We try to juggle God and the things that please us in this life...but, “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other..."(Matthew 6:24, ESV)

I've tasted and seen that the Lord is good...and yet I forget...and run after what pleases me.

These idols are subtle too...they take many forms.  Even music...a wonderful gift from God, can either pull me closer to Him, or draw me away...I can worship the music instead of Him.  My iPod Touch has great apps that can help me increase in the knowledge of my God (Logos, ESV Study Bible, Accordance)...but it also holds great power to steal my affections, and draw me away to sin.

I can even look like I'm a dedicated Christian, trying to serve God...but if I'm doing it in my own strength and absorbing all the praise for myself...I'm not worshipping my God...I'm worshipping myself.  This one is hard too...because it feels so right...we like it because it feels like we're doing so well with our God...we look so good...and we do all the "right" things...but our affections are not for God.  This is what the Jews did in the Old Testament...they were going through the motions...doing all the right things...expecting God to bless them and protect them...but they were not worshipping Him...they were worshipping themselves...and God punishes them for it.  They even tried to worship idols along with God...just like we do...but God is a jealous God...who wants us to worship Him alone!

When I run after these idols, they never satisfy...in fact I often find myself hating them...but my flesh enjoys them so much...I can't resist...in me exists no power to overcome the temptation...I need Christ...

God is the all powerful Lord of the universe...He is YAHWEH...Jehova God!  He deserves all our praise and worship...

My prayer is that I could say with the Psalmist:

The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole beingrejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
(Psalm 16:5-11, ESV)

Comments

PrincessR said…
Ouch! Good post! This is something that always needs to be posted somewhere....it needs to always be spoken and talked of. It is so easy to fall back to the old and want to do things for your own glory and not focus on Who you are doing it for.

Thanks for the reminder! It was well said!

May I say thanks for using Scripture in your posts? Too often I see quotes of people- and although that is a good thing, the Original Author is always better!

~Rebecca
P.S. You might like Psalm 119 :D
Unknown said…
Thanks for the challenging post. It is convicting to me how quickly I can let even my blog posts go from a way to glorify God to a way to make me look good. I love your blog!