Pastoral Ministry

Many of my readers might remember a post I did back in the end of January titled, "Incredibly Blessed..."  In this post I spoke of the fact that I felt incredibly blessed to be used by our glorious God to have been given a staff position at my church.  The title of this position was/is "Student Pastor."  The plan with this was that I would be in this position till I graduated from college...however, things have since changed...greatly...

I have since then been offered a position as Associate Pastor of my church, and this Sunday the church will be voting.  The position will last until next year when I graduate, and at that time I will have to decide whether I will stay...and if I say, "yes" the church will vote to decide whether they want to appoint me as Senior Pastor...so that our current pastor can retire...

So...this puts me in the position where I now have to make a very big decision...a decision, that should I choose to accept, will bring with it a big commitment!  A commitment to shepherd the flock God has granted me...a commitment for which I will be held accountable to God for how I handle...

Needless to say, I've been doing a lot of praying...and seeking Godly counsel.  My mind has gone all over the place...considering my options...I would just like to share with you some of the things God has been doing in my life through this...

God has been greatly increasing my love for His church.  More specifically, He has increased my love for the people of Lakeview Bible Church.  This group of believers has been a greater blessing to me then I can express.  They encourage me so much, that I'm often praying to God to help me see that I CANNOT do the work without Him!  Because as I'm complimented and encouraged over and over, I can very easily get a "big head" and think that I don't need God's help.  But these acts of love and encouragement have even been expressed in truly loving correction.  Many times they have come and given me advice about my preaching, and I've greatly appreciated every bit of this.  We often don't think of correction as being an indication of love, but it really is...they love you enough to be honest with you...this is a great thing, and a great blessing!

God has also been greatly increasing my burden for the theological training and spiritual growth of His church.  It is a real tragedy when God's people go their entire Spiritual lives and never increase in their love for God, their love for His Word, their love for the lost, and their desire to see fellow believers discipled.  My heart aches for the spiritual growth of the church...too many pastors give their churches milk every Sunday...and the people stare with gaunt spiritual faces...yearning to be truly fed from the Word!

So...God has been bringing these things to mind lately...and I struggle, because I don't know if this burden and love is a sign that God wants me to take this position.  So...followers...if you think of me, would you pray? I would be greatly blessed and encouraged if you would!

Comments