Morning Meditation #1

The idols that I replace my God with can NEVER give me the lasting joy I seek...in fact, indulging in their "pleasures" only ever leaves me feeling empty and wanting more...only in Yahweh, God of the universe, can true lasting joy be found. So why do I stray from Him? Why do I run after idols that will NEVER satisfy? Because I am forgetful...I forget how much joy is found in Him. I get distracted by the cares of this world and forget about Him. There are reminders of His presence everywhere...even the fact that I am breathing and that I am being held together is evidence of His presence...and yet I forget. I forget about the joy that is found in Him and run headlong into idolatry...sin.

But God...but God pursues me! This fact proves to me that I am His child. Like the prodigal son's father who waits for His son to return, so my Lord lovingly pursues me in my sin. Even though I stray, His love never ceases! He pursues me and draws me back to Himself...and I am restored with the joy I had before in fellowship with Him. I am reminded that in Him there is fullness of joy and at His right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Father, help me not to stray. Help me not to run after idols which will NEVER satisfy. Help me to not forget that only in you is true lasting joy. Father, keep me from sin...guard my heart from idolatry. I desperately need your grace! Thank you for loving me enough to die for me. It is in Jesus precious name I pray, Amen.

Comments