The Value of Silence

Be still and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah  
                Psalm 46:10-11 (ESV)

Lately God has been hitting me with the importance of silence. So often I have noise making things going on almost constantly. I get in the car and the first thing I do is turn on my music. When I sit down at my desk to write a sermon or study, I turn on some instrumental music...while I'm cleaning my house, I blast Sovereign Grace music from my Bose speakers and sing along. So God has been reminding me of how He can grow me through silence.

So, lately, particularly in the car, I've not been playing music...at least not all the time...instead I pray, or I sing songs...this has been such an awesome thing to do! It has really helped my walk with God, and I'm so thankful that He revealed to me the value of this.

You see...so often I think we want music playing or some kind of noise in the background because we can just sort of coast...without really thinking deeply about things...without really reflecting on our walk with God. When it's quiet, I'm much more likely to ask myself, "How am I viewing God right now?" And then based on my answer to that question, I then spend time thinking on God, and what He's really like...and recalibrating my view of Him.

So, I would like to encourage my readers...turn of the music once in a while...turn off the fan...and just sit in silence thinking about God, and praying...maybe spend some time singing. I think you'll find it to be a great spiritual discipline.

Comments