Gluttony


It feels a little early in the work God is doing in my life, but I feel the need to share...perhaps even as a means of accountability. God has been working on me in the last couple days about my struggle with gluttony. I LOVE food. I love eating good food...I love making good food. It isn't necessarily wrong to to love eating good food...the problem comes when food becomes an idol that replaces God in my heart. Gluttony is one of those sins that we wink at. We talk about the Baptist Potluck where everyone overeats...overeating is an "acceptable sin"...similar to speeding, jaywalking, etc. But I was reminded yesterday of the truth that gluttony is a sin for which Christ died...and it is something that I'm called to forsake by God's grace. I did some studying of texts this morning on the subject and came across this text which I hadn't given much thought to in the past...

Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you. Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh. For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Philippians 3 (ESV)

There is a lot there in that text, and as someone with pastoral ministry in my past and Lord willing pastoral ministry in the future, I want to study it deeper and preach from it...maybe someday. But I want to focus on the last few verses...Paul talks about people who walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. He cries over their waywardness and he describes them as having an end that leads to destruction...their god is their belly...they glory in their shame...and ultimately their problem is that their minds are set on earthly things. What we think about leads us down the path toward sin. What we feed our minds, fuels our affections, and captures our will. We pursue the things that we think about. So, we should be careful what we think about.

And then we have the "But" where he begins to contrast these people whose God is their belly with Christians. We don't/shouldn't have our belly/appetite be our god...we shouldn't glory in our shame...we shouldn't set our minds on earthly things. Why? Because our citizenship is in heaven. This world is not our home...so we shouldn't live for earthly things/pursuits. We can/should seek things which are above...which reminds me of another text...

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Colossians 3:1-3 (ESV)

Paul has told us in the Philippians 3 text that people whose god is their belly...and they glory in their shame...their minds are set on earthly things. Well, we can make the logical conclusion that the Christian should have their minds set on heavenly things...as this Colossians 3 text confirms. I should set my mind on things that are above because I have died in Christ...and have been raised with Christ. My life is hidden with Christ in God. So, when I run after earthly things and pursue the pleasures of my flesh, I'm denying who I am. My mind should be set on where my citizenship lies. We're not home yet...but we will be someday when He either returns for us, or we die. I don't live for earth-bound pleasures...I live for Christ and His kingdom. 

Now, that doesn't mean I can't/shouldn't enjoy the things that God graciously gives me on this earth. I should revel in what God has given me...but created things must not become ultimate...an idol that displaces God. 

So, I say all this to say, God is working on me about my addiction to food, and I want to forsake it by God's grace. I know it will be a battle...just like any other sin struggle...but I want to fight it by God's grace. Fight it with joy in Christ. Fight it by setting my mind on where my citizenship lies...setting my mind on things that are above. 

I want to view the sin of gluttony as a sin for which Christ died...and by being in Christ, I am now called to put that sin to death. 

Comments